St. Croix Lutheran Academy's instrumental program is directed by Mr. John Fenske. Students with any level of instrumental ability are invited to improve and practice their God-given skills and are given many opportunities including concerts, athletic events, and special events like the annual Veterans and Memorial Day celebrations.
The Symphonic Band is for any student who would like to perform instrumental music. This class emphasizes basic ensemble playing techniques, practice routines, rehearsal techniques, basic music theory, and ear training. The band performs at concerts and may attend various band clinics and festivals. Band members also have the option to use their instrumental skills in several extracurricular groups including Pep Band, Percussion Ensemble, Brass Choir, Oakdale Avenue Jazz Ensemble, Woodwind Ensemble, and other instrumental groups.
This co-curricular ensemble is open to students in grades 9-12. The Oakdale Avenue Jazz band performs at several concerts and civic events throughout the year and attends jazz clinics and regional honors festivals.
Pep Band is open to students in grades 9-12 who are part of the Concert Band or who have requested inclusion. The Pep Band supports school spirit—playing at home sporting events and accompanying the teams to tournaments.
Students who play the piano or organ are encouraged to volunteer as accompanists for daily chapel.
Students in grades 9-12 who sing or play an instrument like a keyboard, guitar, or a drum set can sign up to be on the Praise Team. These musicians sing and play contemporary Christian music at various times during the year in daily chapel.
SCL offers weekly violin and viola lessons to beginning and advanced students. Click here for more information.
SCL cooperates with Good Shepherd Lutheran School (Burnsville), St. John's Lutheran School (Red Wing), and Crown of Life Lutheran School (West St. Paul), to support a Grade School Band Program. If your student attends one of these association schools, click here to sign up. Have questions? Contact Mr. John Fenske.
Click here to link to the Grade School Band Program Google page.
Members of the choral and instrumental groups have a number of opportunities to share their gifts at concerts throughout the year.
- Fall Concert – This eclectic presentation focuses on folk songs and music of praise.
- WELS Choral Festival – The Croixaliers represent SCL at this annual regional or national festival, which includes a pop concert and sacred concert. Hundreds of area WELS school singers present to a live audience and via live internet streaming. The event is held each November.
- Middle School Christmas Concert – The birth of Jesus Christ is the focus of this annual December concert and Christ’s Great Exchange is used as the devotional topic. Middle school students prepare and perform choral and instrumental selections.
- Christmas Instrumental Recital – Smaller ensembles are the pillars of a solid instrumental education. Students in groups including Chamber Brass, Clarinet Choir and Flute Choir present at this annual recital.
- Christmas Concert – The annual Christmas Concert is the flagship concert for the first semester. All SCL choral and instrumental groups perform traditional and contemporary sacred Christmas selections.
- Exchange Concerts – Usually held in February or March, these honors concerts are held jointly with other area WELS high schools. Both choral and instrumental students perform.
- Tri-Metro Honors All-Conference Concert – This cooperative concert is held each year in January or February. SCL choral and instrumental students perform with other community high school groups.
- Gathering Grounds Variety Show – Students are invited to audition for this annual Music Department fundraiser. Performers raise money for the music department by sharing their unique talents in music, juggling, acting, comedy, speech and more.
- WELS Band Festival – Nominees from the SCL instrumental music program present at a host school in mid-March. Guest clinicians evaluate performances and help select members of the honors band.
- Mid-Winter Band Concert – Band and ensemble students in grades 6-12 perform at this secular music concert in February or early-March.
- Spring Sacred Choral Concerts – All choral students in grades 9-12 perform sacred music around the theme of Easter. Two concerts are held in late-March or early-April.
- Twin Cities Fine Arts Festival (TCFAF) - The TCFAF is the middle school version of the State solo/ensemble contest. Students from West Lutheran Association and St. Croix Lutheran Association compete against standard criteria in performance and visual art. A culminating sacred concert, in which each school choir and band performs an individual selection and a mass selection, brings the festival to a close. Each year a few students are selected as best in site because their performances stand out in excellence to the judge. These students are asked to present their performances at the concert. This event is usually in April.
- Spring Pops - The end of the school year is celebrated with the Spring Pops Concert, Instrumental and choral groups perform a theme concert – usually with secular music – on the last day of classes.